Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

This picture does not show how yummy this pie is!! I will never claim to be a perfect pie maker, nor do I make my own crust, though my aunt tried to teach me! Since being married to Kyle I have found my love for pie and here is a recipe to help you use more of your buckets of fresh strawberries. This recipe is not my own, it is from The Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book, 12th Edition. If you know of someone getting married, or who needs a great cookbook that has everything--this is the book for them, a great gift from my Mom!
Ingredients:
One box of Pillsbury or chilled pie crust (they come two to a box, so you can make two pies with a crumble topping or one double-crust pie).
2 cups of chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped
1/2 to 2/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of finely shredded lemon peel or 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (I always use the cinnamon--yummy!)

Follow directions on box for bringing the dough to room temperature. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the pastry dough.
Combine sugar and flour. Stir in strawberries, rhubarb and cinnamon. Toss fruit until coated well. (If your fruit is frozen, let mixture stand for 45 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy).
Transfer fruit mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate.
Cover the fruit with second pastry, seal and cut slits in pastry for steam. Crimp edges if desired.
Use a pastry brush and cover top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Cover edges of pie crust with foil. Bake at 375 degrees in oven for 25 minutes (or 50 minutes if fruit is frozen). Remove foil and bake an additional 25-30 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy your strawberry-rhubarb pie!! Yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment