Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Being Green

What does "being green" look like to you in the world today? Well for starters, it's the fact that the term litter has become more obsolete since I was a child. My daughter and I were looking through our favorite Richard Scarry book, The Best Word Book Ever and on the city page a key word to learn was litter. Wow, that part of the book would never be shown today! I remember the commercials of the crying American Indian of the litter he saw on his land. I remember getting gum wrappers when they first started showing "Do No Litter" or basically a "How-To" on re-using a gum wrapper to wrap up your used gum after you discard it, rather than throwing it on the ground, which is one of the most annoying things...guaranteed my shoes would find that gum! Eww! What a mess. 
I too am trying to become more green. I know I probably do not do the best job, as I am just more starting a little at a time. Last year for Mother's Day or my birthday (wow, I  can't even remember) I asked for a clothesline! And I got one. I loved hanging my clothes out. My daughter would be playing in her sandbox while I hung up or took down a basket of clothes. I would throw my clothes in the dryer afterward just to get any bugs (ew!) or fluff them up a bit (not too keen on stiff sheets and towels). I loved that and I can't wait to do it again this summer.
I also no longer buy bottled water, unless we happen to be on the road and we forgot our water bottles. We have a Brita dispenser in our refrigerator and our tap water tastes better and it's cold!! I absolutely love cold water! 
I also can in the summer, reuse my jars and rings. The only thing I have to buy each year are new lids. Other than that, I am saving money by canning my own veggies, soup and jam. (There, of course, are still things I must buy from the store, but I am saving on some things--it's a start!)
I recently started making my own laundry soap. I have already saved my family $40.00 since I started making the soap in December. Every time I fill up my container, that's ten more dollars we are keeping in our home!! That is so exciting to me and I will always make my own.
I just yesterday found a recipe for making my own oven cleaner, since my oven does not have the awesome self-clean button. I couldn't find a coupon for the oven cleaner I normally use, and I was dreading the smell, use of gloves and worry I would get it on my skin or on my kids skin. Instead, I decided to find one  that allowed me to not use the normal oven cleaner! I found this great website: http://beingfrugal.net/2008/03/25/save-money-frugal-homemade-cleaners/
Tonight I plan on trying this new oven cleaner! I can't wait, as my oven is very dirty. I'll let you know how it goes.
This is just a start of ways to save our environment. What small steps are you taking this year to help your environment?

1 comment:

  1. I finally tried the oven cleaner! With a little elbow-grease and your willingness to scrub, this safe oven cleaner worked great! Now of course I was used the the quick clean out of the oven, and here I had to work harder. But I think I would still do the same. My oven won't have that weird smell when I turn it on and it will be safe to cook food in! I like that the best! I'd recommend it!

    ReplyDelete